- Purpose and types of validation rules. 12 ATAR
The purpose of Data Validation
- A validation rule verifies that data is entered correctly.
- Validation rule's ensure that data entered in a record matches a specified standard, structure or range of values
- Data validation provides consistent formatting and presentation of information in a database
- A web form that asks for an email address, won't accept text input unless it has @ in the text
- A password may be rejected because it is too short. Validation states it must be minimum x characters.
- check digit is looking at the last 2 digits in a list of numbers to confirm numbers are correct. Bar Code readers use this.
- Range check - that the numbers entered fall within an expected range eg month must fall between 01 and 12.
Worksheet and Practice (yet to be added)
Found an error or have an enhancement? Please let us know via this contact form