Structure of data warehouses and data marts. 12 ATAR
Role of data mining. 12 ATAR
- Compare data warehouses and data marts as methods of storage and distribution. 12 ATAR
Structure of Data Warehouse
A data warehouse is a database or collection of databases that ARE updated (edited 5/617).
- This data is stored for many years.
- The word warehouse is chosen to give the impression of a 'large' area.
- This database or these databases can reside on one server for a company.
- Or it can be on several servers for that company.
- The overall goal of this 'data warehouse' is to store data over a period of time, which is used in data mining.
The Role of Data Mining
Data mining is used by business.
- They use it find trends which can assist sales, promotions and marketing.
- The use it to identify future planning for the company
Structure of a Data Mart
A data mart is a small data warehouse usually with data for just one area.
- It is still a database on a server.
- It is queried by Data Mining software to get valuable trends in data for a company.
As Methods of Storage and Distribution
- (please note this section needs confirmation for accuracy)
The storage of data warehouses and marts are on servers.
- The distribution occurs by software that analyses the information in the databases.
- There are 100s of these that provide reports offering recommendations for the company based on the query.
- In 2017, these were the top 34 data analysis software. (courtesy of Predictive analytics Today)
See this page for more details on Data Warehouses and Data Marts.
Found an error/enhancement on this page? Please let us know via the contact form under the Home menu item.