This page updated March 2022
Concept of Social Networking; 11 ATAR, 12 GEN
- Social networking means locating people, usually friends, and sharing time together.
- Digital technologies has digitised this process and made it very easy to locate many people and share stories or time together 'online'.
- Social networking can help locate people with similar interests. This provides immediate source of new friends, without leaving the house.
- Social networking can help people learn or focus on new ideas. This provides refreshing opportunities for those bored with their current situation.
- Social networking uses the resources of the internet, digital devices and software to share content.
- Essential parts of social networking are below.
- These are members of the software application who sign up so they can share content.
- Digital hardware devices
- This the hardware involved; servers, routers, switches, 4G/5G mobile towers and also the hand held, laptop or desktop devices.
- This is the connectivity that links the hardware devices to the internet to enable sharing.
- A carrier is the company who provides this. eg Telstra
- Software apps
- This is the software loaded onto the digital devices to enable the sharing to occur. eg Facebook, Tik Tok, Twitter, Snapchat and more.
- Content to share
- The data that people share is called the content. This is in the form or text, audio or movie
For You To Do
- List the 5 essential parts of social networking.
- Write a brief description next to each one describing what it is.
Found an error or enhancement? Please fill out this contact us form.