UPDATED MARCH 2022
- purpose of data organisation 11 ATAR, 12 GEN
- data = a value stored at a particular location (wikipedia)
- organised = arranged in a way to be able to use it successfully
- electronic housekeeping = time spent organising files and folders
- old days, people used paper, organised people used files, unorganised people had papers all over the place
- nowadays, people use electonic documents, organised people use folders, unorganised people have documents all over the place
Purpose of data organisation
- to be able to save data to a location
- to be able to open data from the saved to location
- (sounds simple, but less than 30% of people can do this with any ongoing success)
If working on a multimedia project
- have folders for; /images, /articles, /admin
- eg website about a task at school on your favourite band
- /images (/band on stage, /band on tour, /home page images
- /articles (like bios you have found, album dates and more)
- /admin (like task sheet, emails, resources)
Basics Files and Folders
- file names, THINK! document1 is a huge no no. AIT_Task3jimmy says what is probably inside the file
- folder names, /stuff is a huge no no. /ProjectWebsiteTask3 says what is probably inside the folder
- THINK! name files and folders so you can guess what is in them.
- consider target audience, submitting to a teacher, put your name in the file name as well as other relevant details
- Save your files in a well named folder system so you can find them.
FOR YOU TO DO
- Explain your system of saving files into your data organisation.
- Explain how you think a large organisation would organise their data.
- What is the purpose of data organisation.
Found an error or enhancement? Please use the contact form under the Home menu item.