UPDATED March 2022
Appropriate referencing techniques for digital publications 11 ATAR 12 GEN
Do we need to acknowledge sources? Yes. There are 2 main ways.
When you write a task, you sometimes use your own words and sometimes use words from the internet or books.
- When you write a task, it must be your own work with acknowledgement of all sources.
- If you acknowledge all sources often, you are working at an A or B level.
- If you copy sentences from the internet as your own, you are working at a D or E level.
- You should always credit where you get your information from.
- The way to do this is in a bibliography at the end of the task
- Or during the writing of the task with in text referencing
- Acknowledge = recognise the importance of
- Bibliography = A list of books or web references you looked at for the task.
- Reference list = A list of the books or web references you actually used in your task. (in-text)
- Cite. Means referred to.
- Credit. Means to give the name or author.
- Refer. Means looked at, hence reference or refer to.
Method 1 - (End of Text) bibliography or reference list
Your bibliography should appear on a separate page at the end of your assignment. List your sources in alphabetical order as in the example below.
Anderson, D & Adams, R 2014, ‘Getting the most out of sustainable housing”, Mugada Books, Broome, WA
MacDonald, E & Frayne S, 2018, Back to Gove- A complete guide, Oxford.
The Computing Teacher, 2017, Acknowledging Sources, accessed 18 November 2017, http://www.thecomputingteacher.com/ait/index.php/59-application-skills/
Wilkinson, R 2017, ‘The Way to the future’, The Herald, 23 October, p14.
Method 2 - (in-text) you refer to your reference within your text
You add part of the reference detail, (name of author, year) at the end of the sentence. Or, as part of your sentence and within it.
a. It is clear that technological impacts are evident in all aspects of the workplace today (Brown 2014).
b. Brown (2014) clearly states that technological impacts are evident in all aspects of the workplace today.
For You To Do
- What is the acknowledging source method where you put a number at the end of the sentence and a number in the footer of the document?
- What is the acknowledging source method where you make of list of the exact books and websites you have looked at for your assignment?
- What is the acknowledging source method where you indicate the authors name and year of publication within the sentence?
- Is it acceptable to hand in work done by other people as your own work?
Learn more from UNE Reference List, in-text Reference RMIT, footnotes UNSW
Found an error or enhancement? Please use the contact form under the Home menu item.